<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> Fathers and Sons - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | My Wonder Years » | Sa Pagbubukas ng Pinto » | Let's Volt In! » | The Promise of the Rain » | Ano Nga Ba Tayo? » | Faltar el Punto » | Duped! » | The Masks We Wear » | Consummatum Est » | The Vocation of Surrender » 

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 

Fathers and Sons

The following is an email which my dad sent to his high school classmates through their electonic mailing list. For many of us who are starting out with our careers, it's good to be reminded of the things that truly matter.

* * *
To : "class70"
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2002 11:03:22 -0800 (PST)

Subject : Carpe Diem

Dear folks,

As I prepare to visit the remains of the father of a batchmate, I am drawn back to my own personal awakening a few years ago.

I was engrossed in career, in money matters, in winning the rat race and as you guys know, the higher you go up the corporate ladder and the more you have, the more the tension, the pressures, the minutiae that one has to attend to on a daily grinding basis. There are not enough hours in day.

And then all of a sudden my aunt died. Two weeks comatose in the intensive care unit and she was gone. She was an old maid and we considered her as our second mother who supported and helped out and cared for me and my siblings, all throughout our lives.

And as I stroked the hair of my comatose aunt, I had so many words of gratitude and love that I wanted to say. But her bloated body was struggling for its every breath and I could not reach her. I felt so frustrated, so weak, so powerless.

And the finality of death hit me with such force. Tapos. Kaput. An emptiness, a vacuum. I can never pull back time, even for just a minute, to express and show feelings that I had for a loved one.

I then looked at my two sons. PJ was about to graduate from college; driving his own car and leading his own life, we would have to twist his arm to attend family gatherings. I distinctly remember the days when he would happily sleep in our room. Now, we very rarely even get to talk to him. The little boy has turned into a man and I was at the office too busy to watch him grow before my eyes. I determined that I would get to enjoy my other son, Jem, a little bit more.

The pressures from the office, the growth of my sons, the death of my aunt all seemed to coalesce to goad me into a decision. Money or quality of life? How much is enough?

So I retired after 20 years with Ayala, 25 years of corporate life all in all. That opened my perspective on life.

Today, I am part of the “hatsun” brigade of the Ateneo— hatid-sundo of Jem [although next year, he’ll probably be driving himself]. In my retired state, I go to the office of my sister as consultant where I also do my e-mails in the comfort of an air-con room with a secretary. The best part is— it’s ten minutes from the house and I’m relatively free from the traffic which I singularly detest.

Kahit makulit at matigas ang ulo nila, I persevere everyday to see my parents who are now both 85. I even bring along my dad to the family office just to let him read the newspapers and doze off in the couch while I do e-mail and my daily chores. Looking at him humped over in the chair, I know that his life was given for his family, for us his children. Filled with gratitude, I try to do the many small things to show my appreciation, now— when they're still around.

In the end, if you really analyze it, these acts of gratitude are not for them, they’re for me! In my mind, sinubukan kong suklian kahit kaunti ang lahat ng pinagkaloob nila sa akin.

Guys, if you still have your folks, count yourselves blessed. Embrace them and tell them you love them. NOW. Carpe diem. Seize the day. It ain't ever coming back.

Best regards,

Jojo B

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger