<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> The Promise of the Rain - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | Ano Nga Ba Tayo? » | Faltar el Punto » | Duped! » | The Masks We Wear » | Consummatum Est » | The Vocation of Surrender » | My Life » | Eruplanong Papel » | Left Unsaid » | Untitled » 

Thursday, May 11, 2006 

The Promise of the Rain

“’Pag tila ka nasasakupan
ng lumbay at kalungkutan,
ambon lang ‘yan.”


How the rain makes us remember. . . . How the rain makes us look ahead. . . .

Yesterday, I stood outside on the half-drenched concrete, watching as the clouds formed a mild grey above me. It was the first rain of the season. The pungent sweet smell of dry asphalt filled the air around me— it was the fragrance of parched earth— and I knew that the summer had finally ended.

What fascination I have with the rain can perhaps be explained by the melancholy musings that, from time to time, I find myself yielding to, evoking memory, heightening regret. Indeed, there is a certain sadness that accompanies the rain: a certain constant, dull, nagging loneliness that seeps into soul and being, intensifying longing, leaving one cold and wet. It is a loneliness that we need from time to time, I guess, if only to remind us that we are still human.

Just this morning, as the rain fell hard on my way to work, I remembered those comfortable drives, cold and fuzzy on similar rainy days, as I went early to Rockwell, when I was still a student of law. I remembered the simplicity and the rhythm by which we lived our lives, a simplicity which we did not then realize, because we were too caught up in our small petty issues. (If only we knew!) There was a comfort in the regularity of those days, a security of seeing the same people, the confidence of doing the same things. And I remembered also the mild excitement of the possibility that classes would be called-off, and the plans that suddenly materialized in order to pass the time. But most of all, this morning's rain reminded me of the people I left behind there, who surely went ahead together with me, but became, inadvertently (myself as well), different people. Who were we in first year law school, second year, third year, fourth year, do you still remember?

Indeed, it is some comfort to know that even in the midst of these seemingly jarring changes (I thought), it is still the same rain that falls. In that great cycle of nature, the water which fell upon our backs as we crossed with our books to our classes and to our friends, will fall again, as we cross to different places and seek wider horizons. It is this promise of the rain that I remember as I cross the street to work today, under a different and perhaps greyer sky than what I had known before.

Indeed, that the rain will fall is certain: a signal that seasons change. Yet in that change, I put faith in the fact that nothing is lost, nothing is wasted. As the Spanish say, nada se pierde, todo se transforma. The rain is a reassuring reminder.

hi! i simply find it amazing how you capture "a moment". just when i saw you stand and relive life under the rain, at the balcony of globill mansion...watching you, i had that moment too.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger