<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> Let's Volt In! - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | The Promise of the Rain » | Ano Nga Ba Tayo? » | Faltar el Punto » | Duped! » | The Masks We Wear » | Consummatum Est » | The Vocation of Surrender » | My Life » | Eruplanong Papel » | Left Unsaid » 

Monday, May 15, 2006 

Let's Volt In!

I sometimes forget how old I am. Being around my brother's friends, I am reminded that, unlike them, I was born on the last year of the age of hippies and Woodstock. I'd talk to them about The Perfect Strangers and Michael Jackson's songs when he was still African American. All I'd get were blank stares. I would often feel old.

It was therefore a pleasant surprise when, surfing through channels last night, I stumbled upon a re-airing of Voltes V [which they dubbed in Filipino]! Suddenly, I was seven again, calling out the names of my childhood heroes: Steve, Big Bert, Little John, Jamie Robsinon and Mark Gordon! I did not forget a single detail: Camp Big Falcon, the Japanese lyrics to the volt-in theme, Voltes's many hidden weapons. I even remembered the particular episode they were airing: when Mrs. Armstrong was killed when she piloted a jet into a beast fighter in order to save the Voltes Team from certain death!

The episode transported me back to those lazy late afternoons when, coming home from school, I would park myself in front of the television set, and, eating my merienda of chicken sopas, I would lose myself watching my cartoons on channel 13! Most days, it was Voltes V. On others, it was the RoadRunner! Sometimes, they would show re-runs of the Bugs Bunny series! I can even remember one particular episode when Bugs is unwittingly kidnapped by Marvin the Martian's flying saucer:

Bugs: Hello, ob-jay-dar, hello space probe, hello earth. . . . But if that's the earth, where the cotton-pickin-heck am I?
Marvin: Why, you are on Mars, isn't that lovely?
Bugs: Mars? You mean the planet Mars?

Indeed, it is only now that I fully realize that I am a child of the 1980's. We learned our English from Sesame Street, and our Filipino from Batibot. Our video games were the game-and-watch and the Atari. Ours was the time when computers had 5 1/2 inchs disks for memory devices, and [ctrl]-K-B had some significance as we typed our documents on WordStar. We were obsessed with Japanese robots: Voltes V, Voltron, Grendizer, Mazinger-Z, Mechanda Robot, Daimos. We pined for an Optimus Prime toy, and memorized the dialogue to the Transformers Motion Picture.

Later on, we graduated to G.I. Joe's and Robotech. We bought Nintendos and went crazy over Super Mario Brothers. We just had to have the latest Trapper Keeper designs, and we bought the latest casette tapes of Pearl Jam. The more baduy of us watched Bagets, and even, perhaps Mikee Cojuangco's Forever.

It was a magical decade.

Of course, most of us are working now, nearing age thirty faster than we'd be comfortable to admit. In a year, it will be a decade since many of us graduated from high school. Some of us have gotten married. Some of us have sired children. Some have become lawyers, or doctors, or film directors, or businessmen. And yet as varied as our careers have turned out to be, we are forever bound by the events and influences which shaped that magical decade. As John Updike wrote:

We took the world as given.
Cigarettes were twenty-several cents a pack,
And gas as much per gallon. Sex came wrapped in rubber
And veiled in supernatural scruples—
Call them chivalry . . . .

Psychology was in the mind; abstract
things grabbed us where we lived; the only life
worth living was the private life, and— last,
Worst scandal in this characterization—
We did not know we were a generation.

And so, children of the eighties, here we are. As we come to our own, as the torch is passed to us, I can only pray that we will leave our children with the same fond memories we experienced during our own coming of age. In the meantime, many of us will smile ruefully as we watch the next generation of children get hooked on the things that marked our own childhoods: Volltes V, among others. We may even watch the shows together with them, and for that brief thirty minutes, we will be seven years old all over again.

it is a "different" feeling when i see kids watchin cartoons... i remember myself watchin "carebears" after "bioman"... days when i was thinkin of myslf...having simple fun... nice to remember things that at times makes you laugh........---aimee

i absolutely agree! there's always that "child" within us. it only takes a character to admit and embrace that certain kind of fascination...as i am fascinated by the fact that you never allow your daily demands from stopping you to simply sit and watch your childhood "back to life"!

don't worry peej, i can relate to you. i watch carebears every wednesdays and fridays at cartoon network. sarap panoorin ulit mga palabas nung bata pa tayo

Sana ngayon kami ay malaki na
Upang makatulong sa hustisya
Huhulihin namin ang masasamang tao
Itatapon sa loob ng kalaboso
Ang mga kidnapper, carnapper dog-napper
isnatser at mga hold-up-er
Lilipunin naming lahat

Voltes V tatandaan
Yan po ang tatak namin
'Pag nakita ninyo kami
magtago na kayo
Walang biro, lagot kayo
Pati na lolo n'yo!

Oh but I do remember Perfect Strangers!!!!!!!!! Kaya ko pa kantahin yung opening theme song nun! hahahahahahahha! oh my God. ang tagal naaa.

I also liked alf and doogie howser.
i never owned a trapper keeper. my sister and brother had their own. baka sobrang bata ko pa nun to own one.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger