<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> Remembering: An Evening with the PPO - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | Sa Asul na Walang Hanggang. . . » | else it was purely girls » | At Witching Hour » | The Shape of my Heart » | Thoughts while Jogging in Loyola, at Dusk » | Muchas Gracías » | Rip my heart out » | Suspicions » | Driving » | ‘Toi, tu ne mourras pas.’ » 

Friday, November 11, 2005 

Remembering: An Evening with the PPO

We had arrived just as the opening remarks were being said. The main theater was dimmed now, and the curtains were lifted, exposing the stage, bare, except for the musicians' chairs and the conductor's podium. We found our seats to the right of the theater because having arrived late, we were obliged to sit near the doors until the following intermission. I smiled to myself, thinking how long it was since last I was there, listening to the same orchestra. The same but different.

The first time I saw the Philippine Philharmonic, I think I was back in second year high school. My mom's bank was a donor to the institution, and in return, would be given box tickets to every performance (not only to the Philharmonic, but to ballets and other performances as well). Since then, I was hooked. Every time my schedule allowed, I would drag a couple of friends over (often, it would be Mr. Pagsi and his wife, and a some other interested Sibolistas) to the Cultural Center, and, on a Friday (or Saturday) night, we would indulge in an evening of classical music.

I even remember the most breathtaking performance of the orchestra I've seen: playing Rachmaninov's 5th piano concerto, Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini. The image itself was enthralling: there, aside from the seventy-odd instruments playing on stage, were two black grand pianos positioned side by side in front of the orchestra, beside the conductor's podium— they were not the baby grand pianos one normally finds in homes and showrooms; they were those imposingly long black Weinsteins that in every way really looked grand. Never have I heard two pianos play together, and no less than Cecille Licad and Rowena Arietta granted me the pleasure of an initiation.

And so, on this evening, the memories of those heady days returned to me with amazing clarity, because I had not had the opportunity to recall them for so long. I guess it was fitting, then, that the evening's performance was called Remembering.

I found it odd, at first, for the ticket to say that the performance would have Solita Monsod as narrator. Only when the first piece began— it was a work by Micheal Tilson Thomas— that I understood that the music would be interspersed with entries from the Diary of Anne Frank. Needless to say, it was rather heavy and tedious; I had the feeling that I was listening to a play on the radio.

The second piece, following the intermission (we had already moved to our ticket seats, orchestra center, in the middle of the theater!), was by Margaret Brouwer, and was written as a tribute to her recently-deceased husband. The piece started off quietly, mournfully even, but progressed quickly through pulses of harmonies both loud, at times, and evocative in others.

The evening ended with Beethoven's Symphony No. 1 in C-major, op. 21. While I appreciated the prior two pieces, it was certainly Beethoven that captivated me the most. I was amazed at how the master could do so much, yet with so very little: no brass, except for the horn and the trumpet, no gong, no piano, no cymbals; just a timpani strike here and there. And yet the soar was just as glorious, if not more.

Also— for the first time, I found myself moved by the music I was listening to: here, sometimes expectant; there, sometimes afraid; yet here again, relieved and peaceful. I mention this because for as long as I can remember, listening to the orchestra was somewhat of a mental activity for me, conscious always of what exactly was happening on the stage: the movement and beat of the conductor, the parts each instrument was playing, the delight at seeing the violin bows go up and down at the pulse of the music.

Yes, I did notice all these things again (and with Eugene Castillo conducting, you will certainly not only have an ear full, but an eye full as well— he might as well have been dancing a ballet on stage to the music of his own orchestra! The Washington Post called it, sculpting the air.), but in addition, I think, I paid less attention to what I saw, and allowed myself to get lost in what I heard. It made the experience all the more complete.

As the last strains of Beethoven's First wafted through the theater, the conductor holding up his hand in a suspenseful fermata, with the musicians straining to keep their positions as the last note diminished into silence, I could almost hear the beating of my own heart, and I knew that this night wouldn't be the last time we would be watching the Philippine Philharmonic. In that expectant silence, I thought: what a perfect moment.

[Thanks, P. Of course, how could it not have been perfect?]

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger