<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> else it was purely girls - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | At Witching Hour » | The Shape of my Heart » | Thoughts while Jogging in Loyola, at Dusk » | Muchas Gracías » | Rip my heart out » | Suspicions » | Driving » | ‘Toi, tu ne mourras pas.’ » | Tanauan, Batangas » | Complaint » 

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 

else it was purely girls

I know I don't usually post whole poems or works written by other people on my blog, primarily because of intellectual property issues, but really, because I feel that my blog should mind its own business. However, this time, I think I will make an exception.

A friend recently loaned me a copy of else it was purely girls, a collection of poetry by twenty year old Angelo V. Suárez. I was immediately drawn to the vividness of his imagery and the unique rhythm of his alliterations. Observe:

"of the pen, this pointless vocation,
Volition be your guide, erudition

on craft the raft that sails you thru [. . .]"
(from "Nameless Beerhouse Elegy")

Ernest de Veyra puts it more eloquently when he says that "Suárez also knows how to make his syllables sing, in that manner that makes poetry-reading audiences momentarily postpone that short trip to the buffet table and listen up."

Incidentally, the collection won third place in the Don Carlos Palanca Awards for Literature in 2004. It is, I believe, his second book, the first being entitled, The Nymph of MTV. I don't know about the first one, but I think purchasing this second will be worth your while.

And so, as an exception to my rule (and because it can be justified as Fair Use under our IP laws), I post katrains for quit, a poem for his girlfriend Kit (the title is a play on the name!). Read the poem aloud, and listen to the sonority of the words. I'm sure that like Kit, you too will fall in love.

katrains for quit


there are no shadows when it comes to you—
only nightscapes. or should i say: it is night in that part
of the world where your shadow falls obliquely like a shroud,
your shadow whose weight is the absence of thought,

all thoughlessness and wingflutter, whose surface
is smoother than the edges of night, each finger a wingless
butterfly sharper than shoulder blades where caterpillars
blossom into song. your shadow whose forehead

is the biblical wilderness the messiah prayed in
for forty days and forty nights, adorned with thickets
and traitors, deer and despair. whose mouth dismantles
planetary systems and detonates stellar clusters,

whose breath is submerged in ethereal moonlight,
whose breath is moonlight, whose face is moon with lips
of moonrock. night falls when you close your eyes,
my love, and nothing stirrs except my heart.

:-((( im soo sad..

wednesday na ba? its tuesday palang!

hey isn't "travelled" spelled with one l? anyways:) you're linked to the wrong blog. Hehehe!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger