<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> First Friday Food Club: Lemuria - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | For Whom the Bell Tolls » | Nĭ hăo: In Praise of Language » | Zipping (through Life) » | One Place » | Where Were You When the World Changed? » | First Friday Food Club: Dinelli’s » | Dying of a Broken Heart » | Prayer on a Sunday Night » | Reconnecting (Peeking Out) » | The Problem with Us » 

Friday, October 16, 2009 

First Friday Food Club: Lemuria

The traffic leading to San Juan was unusually bad that Friday evening; or it was probably because I had to make a necessary detour to the Ateneo Law School campus in Rockwell to photocopy cases for next semester’s classes in Constitutional Law— whatever it was, by the time Yang and I picked up Awee in Loyola Heights, I had already made two phone calls to Lemuria asking that they hold our table even after our reservation time of 7:30PM. I was determined not to lose our table.

Tucked away in a corner of Horseshow Village in San Juan, I had many times noticed the sign along Horseshoe Drive while on my way to work in the morning: Lemuria and the Wine Cellar. Having already heard some bits and pieces from other foodies in the past, I decided that, for this month’s First Friday Food Club—already postponed one week because of Yang’s busy, busy schedule— we were all to trek to Quezon City for our monthly gastronomical feast. We would not be disappointed.

We arrived at around 8:10PM, and were greeted by a uniformed guard at the gate, asking for our reservation. “Ay, sa wakas, dumating na kayo, Attorney,” he said, radioing in our arrival. We were led down a lighted driveway towards a Mediterranean style house at the end. To our left was a private residence, which we figured belonged to the restaurant owner. We ascended, and were welcomed by a bevy of waiters with earpieces and radios, and a handful of patrons, numbering no more than ten.

We were led to the far table, laden with tall goblets, plates and silverware, and we felt instantly awkward—as though we had arrived late at a small, exclusive dinner party, and we were the only guests left unserved. We all gave each other amused looks as we sat down, knowing that our conversation, boisterous as we often were during these monthly reunions, would surely destroy the ambience. We knew, therefore, that we barbarians from Makati would have to be on our best behavior, if only to prove that we were somewhat cultured and deserved to sit in a restaurant such as Lemuria without having to deal with annoyed glances from other more discriminating patrons.

But the initial awkwardness subsided quickly, as we got lost in the coziness of our surroundings. It was a little too close and friendly, in fact, that no sooner had we been seated at our table that we began to eavesdrop on the conversation of the couple in the next table.

The menus having been handed out, I scanned the selection which boasted of an extensive list of appretizers and entrées. I had wanted to start with the seared foie gras, braised cabbage and fig glaze, but found that it was too expensive for my taste (it was around P880 a plate!), so I just settled for a garden salad with balsamic vinegar which Yang, Awee and I would share. For good measure, I ordered asparagus soup, which the waiter said was the soup of the day.

For our main course, Yang and Awee chose the risotto of New Zealand mussels, prawn and sweet pimiento while I, wanting to be a little healthy for a change, initially decided on the halibut, which the menu described to be baked in vine leaves with spices and aromatics. Disappointed that I would not eat foie gras, however, Yang suggested that I try the grilled wagyu steak, which the waiter affirmed as the restaurant’s best seller. The moment of hesitation passed quickly, and I asked that the steak be cooked rare.

On the wine, however, we struggled a little, as Lemuria had quite an extensive wine list to choose from. (Apparently, the owners of the restaurant also owned Brumms, a company which marketed foreign wines locally). We eventually settled on a 2007 California Pinot Noir, which was affordable yet proved to be perfect for the evening’s entrée picks.

After ordering, we were served bread which we ate with tasty tomato and pate spread, and an amuse-bouche of salami and eggplant quiche. My asparagus soup, which I unfortunately found a little too tasteless, came shortly thereafter. Awee, ever the envious one, did not want to be outdone, and asked for an additional order of mushroom and gruyere soup. We both ended up swapping our appetizers, however, as Awee fancied my tasteless asparagus soup, while I enjoyed her mushroom and gruyere.

But the highlight of my evening, of course, was my grilled wagyu steak, which was served with salad, mashed potatos and mushroom sauce. It was, bar none, the softest steak that I have ever tasted. My dinnermates, therefore, had to endure occassional and prolonged pleasured grunts and groans as I savored the meat which, quite literally, melted in my mouth. So much did I enjoy this steak that I am officially including the Lemuria wagyu as among the very best steaks I have ever had, right alongside Antonio’s and Gaudi’s.

We ended with conversations over Neuchatel Cheesecake—sweet yet sedate, a perfect counterpoint to the evening. We left at around 10:30PM, the last party to leave Lemuria that night. We were a little over budget, although with the food and the privacy, it was something to be expected. While the prices were quite limiting, therefore, our Lemuria experience was certainly pleasant and worth the occassional expense.


5 Julieta Circle, Horseshoe Village, Quezon City
Tel. No.: +632.724.5211
http://www.lemuria.com.ph
http://www.brumms.com.ph

I've read a lot of blog entries about Lemuria, and they make my urge to dine there stronger. I'd love to try it there someday.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger