<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> Closed Windows and Confused Birds - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | Trust and Happiness » | I Couldn't Resist » | Packing for Boracay » | Reflections on a Death Observed » | Pedro R. Bernardo [1919-2005] » | Christmas Dread (or What Wong Kar Wai Knows) » | Remembering: An Evening with the PPO » | Sa Asul na Walang Hanggang. . . » | else it was purely girls » | At Witching Hour » 

Friday, December 02, 2005 

Closed Windows and Confused Birds

And I have known the arms already, known them all—
Arms that are braceleted and white and bare
(But in the lamplight, downed with light brown hair!)
Is it perfume from a dress
That makes me so digress?
Arms that lie along a table, or wrap around a shawl.
And should I then presume?
And how should I begin?
from The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot


The problem of our age, I think, is that often:
We look for love in the wrong places.


A strange thing happened while I was tinkering with the piano late this afternoon.

A maya bird had flown haplessly into the house through our front door left open. Trapped, it was darting around our living room, around the piano, past vases and lampshades and crystal display cases. I was afraid that, in its attempt to escape, it would end up breaking something.

In its confusion, and perhaps seeing a semblance of tree and plant and open space through the clear plate glass of our closed living room window, it flew full speed, thinking that it had found a way to escape, into the transparent surface. I heard the little bird's body thud against it, and recoiling, thrust itself again onto a different window panel, seeing the same trees and plants and open space through the same clear plate glass.

Sitting there in front of the piano, I understood something of the maya bird's confusion, and I thought, how often we find ourselves hitting our heads against the same glass-paneled windows of our lives, seeing a semblance of tree and plant and open space on the other side, again and again, hoping to get through. We struggle, sometimes breaking things in our effort, flying full speed into this window panel and then another, looking only for the same trees and plants and open space.

It was trial and error, I think, which helped the maya bird eventually escape, finding the same front door still open, from where it had flown in. But what a headache (or heartache) I imagined it had. And though I knew that I should have just opened the window, I thought, it was just too much of a hassle to close it once again.

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger