<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> I Dare You to Move - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | Comfort in Your Strangeness » | Seasons » | The Advantages of Closing a Few Doors » | En El Aeropuerto de Kuala Lumpur » | Giving Automated Elections a Chance » | Having Faith » | Inertia » | First Friday Food Club: Lemuria » | For Whom the Bell Tolls » | Nĭ hăo: In Praise of Language » 

Friday, July 15, 2011 

I Dare You to Move

“When you leave you will close the door behind you. Don’t we always? But time will make amends, to old friends.”

* * *

“Aware that my days . . . are winding down, I am encouraged by lines from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, that go, ‘There is a tide in the affairs of men, which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries.’ That tide, I am afraid, has now come for me, and I have chosen to take it ‘at the flood.’ I can only hope that with this new adventure in search of good fortune, I, like Odysseus setting sail for the fabled city of Troy, may one day— some time soon and God-willing— find myself back home to my beloved Ithaka.”

* * *

Looking out his office window, gazing towards the dull grey horizon that was Manila Bay, he wondered, what does the future have in store for me? What new things await me beyond that horizon?

He knew that there was no turning back now. He made sure that he was leaving nothing behind, not that he had very many things to hold on to. He was afraid, but he was hopeful. He knew that he was never coming back.

* * *

“… Come, my friends,
’Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.’

I’ve been thinking about that poem a lot lately. And I think what it says is that, while it’s tempting to play it safe, the more we’re willing to risk, the more alive we are. In the end, what we regret most are the chances we never took. And I hope that explains, at least a little, this journey on which I am about to embark. I have loved every minute with my KACL family, and all of you. For eleven years you've heard me say, ‘I’m listening.’ Well, you were listening, too. And for that I am eternally grateful. Goodnight, Seattle.”

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger