<div class='adsense' style='text-align:center; padding: 0px 3px 0.5em 3px;'> </div> Finding Ever After - somewhere i have never traveled. . .

« Home | Love, Actually » | Love is Really Enough » | Same Time Next Year » | Sayád » | Prayer to a God Unseen » | Waves and Washouts » | Seeing Clearly (and Other Inanities) » | Confessions of a Boracay Virgin » | Closed Windows and Confused Birds » | Trust and Happiness » 

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 

Finding Ever After

To be honest, I think your theory about relationships is bullshit. I believe in love, lust, sex and romance, not in a perfect equation. I want mess and chaos. I want someone to go crazy for me. I want passion and heat and sweat and madness! Valentines and cupids! I want it all. . .

Rose Morgan in The Mirror Has Two Faces


I used to feel awkward going to soirees. Coming from an all-boys high school, often the only avenue for interaction with the members of the fairer sex were organized events such as math competitions, school fairs or Saturday afternoon soirees. Being the lanky, insecure, geeky boy that I was, I would feel like a fish out of water, not quite coming to par with my other cooler classmates who wore Ferré pants, Cole Haan shoes, and La Coste shirts. Being a characteristically “A” soiree, furthermore, there would normally be double the number of boys than there would be girls; naturally, those who dared to attend would be drawn to my more normal looking classmates.

And so, after all the inane games have been played, I would often find myself drifting towards the piano, out of sight and in the corner, and I would anonymously begin the opening strains of Stephen Bishop's ubiquitous It Might Be You, or perhaps, some Broadway classic like The Promise or On My Own, or even, if I'm feeling corny, Rick Price's Heaven Knows. Sometimes— and much to my delight— some hapless girl would find her way to my music, and stand beside the piano, to listen.

“Wow, you play pala,” she'd say.

'Di naman, konti lang,” I'd reply, feigning modesty.

“Play this naman for me,” she'd say, and I would, and she would smile. Got my fix for the day.

On good days, there would even be two or three of them; some would even sit beside me on the piano seat. I'd play a medley of songs, and they would swoon at the opening chords. Looking back now, I know how delightfully sophomoric it was, and my high school classmates would never let me forget it, even up to this day.

But I guess that was me: the ballads and the ivory keys; hopeless romantic that I was, I always had this idea of sitting by the piano, and crooning to that special girl the words I could not exactly tell her straight, face to face. Like in the movies. Like in the daydreams in my head.
Kapag narito ka, gumaganda.
Kapag narito ka, lumiligaya.
Totoo bang nararamdaman ng puso ko?
Hindi ko alam, sana.
One of the songs I played often then was Could You Be My Number Two, only because I found the melody haunting enough to play on the piano. The introduction's rhythmic repetition of the three black keys in E-flat, changing bases from A-Flat to C-sharp and then to C, evoked a melancholy that, I felt, was tired yet compelling. So much did I like the song that I even told a friend that it would be one of the songs I would sing to that special girl, as I lived through that piano fantasy of mine.

Gago ka ba!” he told me. “Kantahan mo yung girl ng Could You Be My Number Two, tinganan natin kung hindi ka sampalin n'on!

For a while, I was puzzled at his reaction, but then, listening to the song again on the radio (it used to be played often enough, then) I understood what he meant. I agreed with him. Following the conclusion of Number One, who would want to be Number Two? Strike that from my girlfriend-fantasy piano playlist, I thought.

Almost eight years after high school, however, living through enough drama, heartache, complications and disappointments; hurting people I love and being hurt by them, also; witnessing enough break-ups and assisting in cases of annulment; watching broken people fall in love with other broken people, lost yet still trying; I find myself playing the song once again on the piano— playing it often, in fact— and understanding a little bit more of what the lyrics mean.

Could you be my number two
Me and number one are through
There won't be too much to do
Just smile when I feel blue.

And there's not much left of me
What you get is what you see
Is it worth the energy
I leave it up to you.

And if you got something to say to me
Don't try to play your funny games on me
I know that it's really not fair of me
But my heart's seen too much action

And every time I look at you
You'll be who I want you to
And I'll do what I can do
To make a dream or two come true

If you'll be my If you be my number two

Indeed, I understand why the song is not exactly the most perfect of songs to define a relationship, but still, what draws me to it is the fact that the emotion it captures is real. More importantly, it is human, and therefore, flawed but beautiful. I'm tired and I am broken, but I want to love you. I'll try to make it work, if you'll let me. W.H. Auden captures it beautifully in the beginning of his poem, Lullaby, where he writes:

Lay your sleeping head, my Love,
human upon my faithless arms.
* * *

I read somewhere that the problem with most people is that they try to make abstracts out of essentials. Ephemeral as they are, most people choose to create concepts of what they cannot fully grasp: like forever, or eternity, or two becoming One. The goal, then, for many has been to strive for that lofty ideal, that mental concept, and in the process, detaching themselves from what is humanly true and humanly real.

Like, for example, some people believe that for friendship to be real, it must be effortless; or that for love to be true, it must be platonic. The basic attitude here is to understand the phenomenon purely in terms of essential concepts: how it must conform to a structured idea or a preconceived notion. God forbid that such an ideal, neatly placed in clear categories and rigid boxes, be sullied by the baser experience of, say, flowers and chocolates and hormones and sex and today and this moment!

The problem with this attitude, of course, is that people choose to remain within these clear conceptual frameworks, not wanting to dirty themselves with the experience. The result sometimes is frustration, because the ideal is simply not attainable; or perhaps, even, bitterness, because not having conformed to the concept, they feel that what they have actually experienced— of falling in love, for example, or being in a friendship— was not actually the real thing.

* * *

Of course, of course, we want the ideal. We want to be Number One, playing our love songs on the pianos of our daydreams, with that special person sitting beside us with their heads on our shoulders. We strive for it. We ache for it. We pray for its coming. After all, we would not be human if we did not hope, or if we did not dream.

But I guess, in this dreaming for perfection, perhaps it is good to be mindful that, as that rather gaudy MMS message goes— one which, I think, still hits the mark— we often keep standards on who we will one day fall in love with, but at the end of the day, we know that the one for us will always be the exception to the rule.

Life seldom gives us cookies. We have to be happy with the crumbs. After all, as that song (which has been playing in my head often, of late) giddily goes; indeed—

Nothing compares to the good times
Feels like we're floating, when the rest have to climb
You made me believe in love, and not the perfect kind
A real messy beautiful twisted sunshine.

And now we're slightly weathered, we're slightly worn
Our hands grip together, eye to eye through the storm, yet
I still believe in ever after with you, yeah.
'Cause life is a pleasure with you by my side,
And there ain't no current in this river we can't ride
I still believe in ever after with you.
We're all slightly weathered, and slightly worn. Still, may we all find our twisted sunshines, and live happily, if not imperfectly, ever after.

hardly related but, i remeber one choir pratice in veritas na nothing was happening naman and we were all eating lang.. you were playing themes from movies and i was guessing them all! aliw na aliw kami ni isoy mag name that movie! :D

perhaps "denial" is humanly real too. making something ambiguous maybe a lot of people's way of desensitizing themselves from the pain of rejection and of imperfection. what we do not understand scare us, that is still perfectly human. It's not a choice that we make, it's an instinct.

you make "being happy with the crumbs" sound like a very bad thing.. but remember, breadcrumbs make desserts yummy. Wait for your dessert to come and the crumbs'll not be so bad after all.

---

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Peej Bernardo
  • From Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
My Profile

SideBlog!

    EXPECT NOTHING
    Alice Walker
    Expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    become a stranger
    To need of pity
    Or, if compassion be freely
    Given out
    Take only enough
    Stop short of urge to plead
    Then purge away the need.
    Wish for nothing larger
    Than your own small heart
    Or greater than a star;
    Tame wild disappointment
    With caress unmoved and cold
    Make of it a parka
    For your soul.
    Discover the reason why
    So tiny human midget
    Exists at all
    So scared unwise
    But expect nothing. Live frugally
    On surprise.
    WE ARE THE WORLD
    Harvard Law School LL.M. '12

Previous posts

My Pictures!

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from Peej Bernardo. Make your own badge here.

Estoy Leyendo!

ShoutOut!


Syndication!

Google Search!

    Google
    Web This site
Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter
Powered by Blogger